Tuesday, March 3, 2009

My 1st winter bike ride

I bet for most people when winter rolls around they barely leave their homes. In fact, until I met Darrin, I used to be one of them. He has really made me more of a winter sports enthusiast. And I am beginning to like it. This year, we have really gotten out and enjoyed winter here in Butler. For a little over two months (December and January) Darrin kept begging me to bike ride everywhere we went. It didn't matter if we were going to the YMCA, the grocery store, or if he just wanted to get outside and ride, he always popped the question, "Are we riding our bikes?" One really nice day in February, I gave in to his desire for me to be on my bike in the winter. It was a Friday and the weather wasn't too cold. I bundled up in what ever I had for layers and we were ready. Where were we going? You guessed it. First to see his coach at Brookfield East and then to workout at the YMCA. I am pleased to let everyone know, I didn't freeze like popsicle and I really enjoyed myself. The ride to the YMCA was a bit easier, but only because our workout was strength training. So I challenge everyone to embrace our wonderful Wisconsin Winters. I do recommend putting heaters in your shoes if you are going to be outside for more than 30 minutes though.

No comments: