Monday, March 2, 2009

Butler Public Library and Book Clubs

After living in Butler for about 3 months, we realized this small town had it's very own library. I love to read, and have found the library to be a great place to spend some of my time. Adding to my excitement was the fact that the village was building a new facility on Hampton Avenue. The new library opened on December 1st and is a nice addition to Butler. Inside there is more room for books, a kids section which includes a reading club area, a fireplace with additional seating, and more public computer spaces. Darrin and I try to make it a point to get over and use the library at least once a week. The atmosphere is just wonderful and allows us to stay focused on our reading. Not to mention, the library has enabled me to participate in a few book clubs. After meeting some former colleagues for drinks one night, they both invited me to join their book clubs as a way of getting out and meeting people. This has not only provided me with a couple of nights out of the house, but also a great place to meet new people and become more involved in the Milwaukee area. Kim's book club meets every 2nd Tuesday of the month. There are 12 active members, all of whom are women. Most of them are involved in the Architectural community, which provides a lot of great conversation before and after book club. The first meeting I went to was a movie-book review. I have read The Picture of Dorian Gray and am trying to finish Corelli's Mandolin for our next get together. At the last get together we discussed future book selections and decided on a years worth of reading. The list has a lot of diversity and should provide me with a lot of great books to read this year! Robin's book club hasn't meet this year, but will this Friday. We have read the Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. This was a great book. I couldn't put it down and think I finished it in less than 3 days. (In between other stuff!) The lessons that he shares with everyone are great to hear and put some perspective into your own life. I don't want to spoil any one's readings, but this one is a tear jerker. As everyone knows, Mr. Pausch has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and only had a few months to live when he published the book. None the less, this is a great addition to add to your reading list! I am really looking forward to the get together this Friday. I have also picked up The Story of Edgar Sawtell, Bridget Jone's Diary, and a few Janet Evonovich books. Good Luck to anyone reading this year! I think at the end of each month I will put a list of books I have read for everyone else to see. Please let me know if you have any readings that I should add to my list of must reads because I am always looking for a good book.

No comments: