Thursday, June 3, 2010

Illustration - Challenging to say the least


One of the greatest skills an interior designer can posses is the ability to graphically present to a client what their design is going to look like. We call this rendering and provide these drawings to illustrate to our clients what their space is going to look like after the work is done. Within the last 10 years, more and more rendering is done on the computer, but clients still appreciate a good old hand rendered elevation, floor plan, and perspective.
Last semester I enrolled in a class titled "Illustration." I was a bit apprehensive as I had very limited use with markers, let alone rendering. As the class progressed on throughout the semester, I began to loosen up a bit and actually enjoyed many of the rendering projects we were given. Although my renderings aren't perfect, I was able to learn a valuable tool and will be able to build upon this as my schooling and career develop.

The class projects included sketching, rendering worksheets, doing freehand perspectives (1 & 2 Pt), and a final rendering project. I found this challenging to say the least. I have always loved art, and have a degree in architecture which has already given me many skills in drawing. BUT, I still struggled with one aspect of illustration....it doesn't have to be perfect. In fact, some of the drawings are meant to be sketches and simply provide someone with an ideation of what the space will look like. So over the summer, I will be working on speed and trying to let go of some of the rigidness I have been so accustomed to with my architectural background.

For now, I thought I would post some projects we did this past summer....Enjoy!

1 comment:

Darrin & Lynn said...

I think you do a great Job!!! Love your DB