Thursday, November 20, 2008

Monday's Snow Squals

Monday was our first so called "snow storm." I have never before heard of a snow squall before, but it sure caused a lot of problems for people who were on their way home Monday evening. In a matter of about 15-20 minutes, mother nature had spread about 1/4-1/2 inch of snow on the ground. (A snow squall is a sudden moderately heavy snow fall that is referred to as a whiteout or blizzard. They are usually limited by location or time. I guess they are caused by the lake effect. I found a good article on wikipedia that explained how they work.) Darrin was commuting home by bike when the snow flakes started flying. He looked like a snow-pop when he got home. The roads became dangerously icy causing more than a half-dozen accidents throughout the area. They included 5 car pile ups, jack-knifed semi's, and people sliding out of control at normally safe intersections. Luckily Darrin and I were in for the evening. The snow didn't last more than a day but sure put a lot of people in their "Winter's Here" mode. I love snow and can't wait for our first measurable snowfall. Guess I will have to wait a little longer.

No comments: