Friday, August 21, 2009

Date Night - What every relationship needs

Date night. For us, date night is important for sharing time together without interruption from anyone or anything. It's about our lives together, and our love for one another. Darrin and I both agree that taking time out of our hectic lives for appreciating each other is a must have to keep the fire going.
So that is what we did last night. Darrin actually was the one who set everything up and told me what time to be ready. The evening started with a full bouquet of autumn colored roses. I would have to say that he does a great job of making me feel appreciated. The flowers are beautiful and really remind me just how much he loves me and I love him.
We live a pretty modest lifestyle. By that I mean that we aren't the couple who goes out to eat every Friday and Saturday night, we don't mozy to the bar occasionally, and we tend to just by the basics when we are out and about. I believe I can count on one hand the number of times we have actually gone out to eat. (That doesn't include the subway stops when we are traveling for bike races.) It really felt more like a treat to us to be able to dine at a very classy restaurant and not have to worry about the money we'd be spending.
Mr. B's Steakhouse is set in a charming shopping village just up the road from our house. I have traveled out on Capitol a hundred times and have never seen the sign for this place, but Darrin, has and he set up reservations for 6pm. Although the prices were a little scary to Darrin (who by nature is as cheap as they come), we both picked what we wanted off the menu without hesitation. He let me choose a subtle, sweet wine from the menu and we enjoyed a bruschetta appetizer. The restaurant also served us two types of bread while we waited for our meals to arrive.
We both ordered steaks and french fries with a side of asparagus to share. Before our meals came, Darrin added another surprise for me. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a (don't go there!) CARD. (I warned you!!!) I started blushing because I didn't have a card for him, nor did I know he had a card for me. He smiled at me while I read it...I don't know how he did it but the card was perfect (Yup, I'm still smiling as I type this). We both are very blessed to have each other and that is what the night was all about.
With just enough room for dessert, we paid our hefty bill and ventured to the store for some ice cream. As we left the restaurant Darrin had us pose for a picture together to have a memory of the night. We made a stop at Pick n Save for some ice cream. To our surprise when we walked out of the grocery store, there was a rainbow off in the distance. "I think it's a sign," Darrin said to me. A very good sign I added as we headed home, ice cream in hand.
The night ended with a bowl of ice cream and a very good movie. I really couldn't have asked for a better night, or a better person to share it with. I can't believe it myself, but Darrin and I have been together 4 months shy of 3 years. (December will be 3) We have had our share of ups and downs. We are not the "Perfect" couple by any means, but what we have is real, it works, and we wouldn't trade it for the world.

No comments: